Engagement Wedding Maternity Children Seniors Family Personal Products Everything Else
My Website Old Blog Follow us on Twitter Be our friend on Facebook


Sunday, June 29, 2008

Katie


Meet Katie. Through a series of e-mails and phone calls Katie shared with me that she was planning to major in photography at Pitt Community College in the Fall. She was interested in learning all she could and was wondering if I needed any help on photo-shoots. Well, it was a bit strange for me to hear that anyone thought they could learn about photography from me. I still feel very much like a learner. In fact, I always get a little nervous before every shoot wondering if this will be the day that I can't get ONE good shot. She was so nice and was willing to offer a helping hand if I needed one. And well, I could use a helping hand from time to time. So, after a couple conversations and a very informal 'interview' it was decided that Katie will now be helping. The job description of 'helper' is intense and filled with long hours. But, she said she was up for it (of course I'm joking).


Our first order of business was for her to feel what it is like to be in front of the camera. I think this gives a photographer an honest sympathy to clients as they smile on demand, lean up against grungy walls and avoid snakes in high grass. Another reason for her to be in front of the camera is that Katie volunteered to be my first 'senior' as I try to start up my senior portraiture section on my website. So, meet Katie. You might be seeing her around.


I had been wanting to photograph in an old junkyard I found. Katie helped me with that.







These two were my favorites of the day.



If you look closely, you can see me in the reflection of those sunglasses. She had never heard of C.H.I.P.S., of course that showed my age. In the early 80's there wasn't a better t.v show.



Below, a little bonus for those of you who like the beauty of old worn down stuff.


How can you walk away from a classic?





A little info about Katie.


What's in your CD player right now? . . . . Shakira.


Your favorite College Team? . . . . "Penn State. But, I love the Pirates too." (She said that with a smile and very sympathetically. However, I learned later that her Dad is a huge ECU football fan and so I know she is at least surrounded by good influences.)


Who is your favorite non musical artist . . . Buckley Moss and Michelangelo. (Katie is a very talented artist herself. You should ask to see her work. Pretty amazing.)


If you had ten grand to spend on anything, where would you spend it? . . . "The Apple Store, Music, DVD's and Art Supplies."


If you could travel anywhere - where would you go? . . . "Ohh, first I'd want to see Rome and the Vatican. Since I'm polish I'd want to see Poland and rounding out the top four would be Hawaii and Puerto Rico."


Five Adjectives that describe you. . . . "Imaginative, hopeful, Willing, Artist, and Listener."


What's inspiring to you? . . . "Thats easy . . . music inspires me. I listen to all kinds of music. Most recently I have really gotten into Spanish music. I like to listen to music and draw the images that come out of it for me. For me, being an artist is magic. I can create places, people, and all kinds of stories . . . all through the magic of art."


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm diggin the junkyard shots! Could that bus be anymore perfectly rusted and engulfed by greenery in that shot? And can I also just say I loved CHIPS! :)

Rachel said...

your work is awesome! i would LOVE for you to photograph Brian, Abby and me. wondering how i can make this happen???? hmmm, up for another NY trip?!?! ha ha

Hanssie said...

That's funny. I came on her to post that I was diggin the car shots and looks like Ginger stole my thunder. Ah well, I love the location. What a great place for pictures --great shots too!